Thursday, March 22, 2007

DC, 7 Kids & Me

First, this is my shout-out to Baker for highly encouraging me to update my blogspot!

Second, the entire population of FPO (orientation) headed to Washington D.C. for a day of culture, observation and sharing. Let me set the scene first! 5 buses roaring to go at 8am this morning as we dragged ourselves on them for the two hour ride ahead of us! The ride was decent considering most are not fully functional then! Our drop-off point in DC was Union Station which is where the day's journey started for us! For me this was a group of two families who account for four more adults and SEVEN children all under the age of 6 years! So, we headed out for Chinatown with three strollers and many frantic nerves as we crossed streets and dodged people on the sidewalks. Lunch was amazing and was some of the most authentic Chinese food that I have had in America ever. Granted, one would expect authenticity in Chinatown of all places!

Next, we headed across the mall which offered a great chance for the kids to run free for about fifteen minutes. This lead us to the National Air & Space Museum which occupied the afternoon with amazing sights, hand-on exhibits, and glimpses into flight. We then returned to Union Station for a quick dinner before reboarding the buses for the trip back to the campus. Thank you Father for the minimal traffic that we encountered on the way back which saves us upto an extra hour of traveling with tired, fidgety children and adults.

All in all, it was a great day to be out and about with some very beautiful weather with the Cherry Trees beginning to blossom! Some pictures of the trip follow! Enjoy them and I will be writing some more!





1 comment:

Unknown said...

Matt,
I love the pics! Esp the cherry blossom trees. I brought home a love for those trees after our trip to D.C. in '94.
I can't believe you embarked on your adventure with 7 kids in tow! lol What a picture that brings to the imagination!
I am glad you had fun though!
And thanks for the update! We love your blogs!
The kids say "Hi" to Uncle Matt and we all send our love!
Can't wait till you are home next month.
~Denise