Monday, May 11, 2009

Truck Driver and Want-to-be Wrestling Coach

A funny story from my adventures out into the countryside. While there, Ron received a huge load of goods from Ulaanbaatar including many items for construction projects within and around their hashaa. Included in this shipment were 5 beams each being 8 meters (around 27 feet) and 10 beams each being 6 meters (around 20 feet). At first only some Mongols were unloading these off the truck because I did not understand their procedural discussions. After 2 of the 8 meter beams, the truck driver thought that I should be in the mix of this, so I jumped in. These particular beams were on the top of the truck bed area, so we were dragging one end onto the ground and then dragging it far enough out to get the other end of the beam off the truck. Well, lets just say that I thoroughly impressed the truck driver. He instantly started calling me his "really, really, really, really good friend." Furthermore, he wanted to be my coach and have me wrestle for him during Naadam come July. Fortunately, I didn't plan any trips out to Khovd again and also I won't be in Mongolia during July.

No comments: