Sunday, January 13, 2008

New Year in a Still Somewhat New Home

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO YOU ALL!

Yes, I realize that it may be a bit late to be posting my opening greeting, but I am still! Well, I have been apart of some interesting happenings lately that pertain to the local culture and their respective customs during holidays and birthdays!

First, on Christmas Eve, it is customary to give an apple to family and good friends. Well, I have 850 students who I consider friends and who seem to consider me a friend in return. They all did not follow tradition, but I did recieve around 40 apples on Christmas Eve! As evidenced in the two pictures below in which the apples are packaged in shiny, colorful plastic wrapping:




Further, they also tend to give friends drinks for their birthday. Being it was mine this past Thursday, Jan. 10th, I received quite a few drinks from my students. I was given about 50 bottles of Pepsi and Coke. Granted some of the bottles are bigger than others, so I gained about 60 Liters of carbonated beverages. Further, two of the classes surprised me with Birthday Cakes which really made my day special. Again as evidenced in the pictures below:





Furthermore, I continue to learn more about my city as I live here and explore alone and with my students. I am learning about more places to get things accomplished, places to eat away from school, etc. It has been very worthwhile and enjoyable. Further, I attended a kick off celebration for the upcoming Beijing 2008 Olympics Torch Relay which is scheduled to come through my city in about 6 months! It was a good time to spend with my students. More and more this is home to me which is a blessing! In two weeks, we start our winter holiday which will be a relaxing time of vacationing with friends at the beach and visiting students in the Grassland. Pictures will come with these events!

2 comments:

Morello Madness said...

What a fun past couple of weeks! Your students really seem to love you! That's great! We're looking forward to seeing you in a few weeks!

Jessica Evans said...

So cool! Maybe you can make an apple pie and apple cider with all those apples. I'm so glad we got to talk to you the other night. Hear from you soon and I'm yarping!